Thursday 22 July 2010

Italian Vogue trumps the UK's issues



A friend of mine has been doing work experience at the London vogue office and aswell as hearing about some of the amazing things she has done, she was lovely enough to grab be some freebies.
Ive got a copy of this seasons English Vogue and the current Italia issue and I have to say the difference is remarkable.
Even without a word of Italian to my vocabulary, I was so much more engaged with the foreign copy. The layouts are more lavish and experimental, the photography richer, and the typography even more glamourous. Compared our home copy is dull and not too distinguishing from any other fashion glossy! Dont get me wrong, I am still a regular reader, but for me it is beginning to loose its element of exclusivity. Instead I am starting to tire of the same old advertisements which saturate my visual world.

Italy does have an incredible reputation of being that but more extravagant, and this is summed up in the monthly D.P pages, a contribution of the fashion world by Anna Piaggi, a designer i have been an avid fan of for years.
Her pages always appear so effortless yet unique, noticing the smallest trend on the catwalk she produces these amazing spreads which capture the idea in incredible layouts, typography and illustrations.
Why cant the UK issues live up to these standards and become the designer magazine it once was!?

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm Hannah and this is my Design Blog. Im a second year Graphic Design student at the University of Leeds so feel free to have a look around my site and please give as much feed back as you want!

Followers